If you live in Arizona and believe medical cannabis will help you treat and manage your symptoms, you'll need to take a few steps before you will be allowed to purchase your medicine.
Patients with the following health conditions are currently eligible to purchase and use medical cannabis in Arizona:
- Positive status for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis C
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Crohn's disease
- Agitation of Alzheimer's Disease or the treatment of these conditions.
- A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Severe and chronic pain
- Severe nausea
- Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.
Once you receive your written certification, you must submit it via the Qualifying Patient Application to the AZDHS within 90 days. (Tip: Download the checklist and gather necessary information before starting your application.)
You will need to pay the appropriate fee in order to submit your application. The fees are as follows:
- $150 for an initial or a renewal registry identification card. If you currently participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, you may be eligible to pay $75 for initial and renewal cards.
- If you are a caregiver or would like a caregiver to purchase your medicine, the caregiver application is separate and the fee is $200 for an initial or a renewal registry identification card. A caregiver must apply for a new card for every patient under his or her care (up to five patients).
- $10 to amend or replace a registry identification card.
The AZDHS issues registry identification cards within 10 business days of receiving a complete application.
Once you have your AZDHS-issued registry identification card, you are free to visit any dispensary in the state of Arizona to receive information and purchase your medicine. We'd love to see you again at any of our dispensaries across the state! We have dedicated Patient Advisors ready to serve you, and we hope we're able to do what we can for you and your health!